Welland Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland?

+15
sheriff
wastedvote
Alan Madsen
BeardyPete
harry potter
treacle
JackieC
Marc Brookes
Ilikewellandasitis
TimJ
frankc
barryjt
terry1
Admin
drakestreet
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do you want this proposed development in Welland?

200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland? Vote_lcap0%200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland? Vote_lcap100%200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland? Vote_rcap 100% 
[ 41 ]
200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland? Vote_lcap0%200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 41

Poll closed

200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland? Empty 200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland?

Post  drakestreet Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:18 am

I have just heard about the proposal to build 200+ houses on the site of ********* on Drake Street. Drake Street is my home and when I first heard this I took it as a joke. But apparently its not!

Step 1 is to have between 75-120 houses and step 2 is the same again. Plus the fact it will then open the flood gates for all the rest on Drake Street Welland to put in their own applications. To put it bluntly this will RUIN the village. Do we really need or want a Fruitlands type development in Welland?? Or do we want a village that is a community? Do you want another 400 cars a day in our area? Can you imagine a round about on Drake street, hundreds of kids ruining our rural atmosphere all to make a certain person a millionaire?? I thought ******* was supposed to be for the village and not against it?

So what are WE GOING TO DO ABOUT IT??? If we dont speak up and make a noisy protest this WILL HAPPEN!!

Last edited by Admin on Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:23 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Sorry you cannot mention names until you have proof. Editor. I have edited the items in red ********)

drakestreet

Back to top Go down

200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland? Empty Re: 200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland?

Post  drakestreet Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:28 am

To the editor: I dont appreciate you editing my posting. Aren't I allowed to say what I like? What happend to freedom of speach?

drakestreet

Back to top Go down

200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland? Empty Re: 200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland?

Post  Admin Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:39 am

Reply from the Editor : I am all for freedom of speech. I did not delete your posting. As I said when I edited it you cannot accuse someone of something they have not even done yet. I appreciate that this is an emotive subject. But you simply can't guess someone's motives either. I feel sure there will be some who agrees with the building of these houses and no doubt they will be posting a reply which you do not agree with. But they like you are entitiled to have their say, so when they do remember the 'freedom of speech' you brought up. I am NOT "having a go" at you by the way. Just trying to clarify the position.

This is a free debate. Please remember the POINTS OF VIEW OR SUBJUCTS RAISED MAY NOT REFLECT THE VIEWS OF THE WEBSITE AND FORUM STAFF.

Admin
Admin

http://www.wellandvillage.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  terry1 Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:58 am

Editor I think YOU agree with these new houses or you would be more enthusiastic in opposing them.

Myself I think its absolutely awful!!! Who in thier right mind would want a development like this in the village. If we let this go through it will be the thin edge of the wedge. Next will be building across the road a dozen houses. Then lets build another 20 on the Pheasant land. Oh isnt Drake street dangerous for all these cars using it now so lets straighten the bend and while we are at it build a few more down Drake Street. If we let this sneak through you can wave goodbye to Welland as a village.

A certain person will NEVER be getting my vote again. Do NOT believe it when they start spouting things like "affordable houses for village kids" total and utter rubbish. They HAVE to build affordable houses these days. Next they will be saying they have fully consulted the villagers and only a small minority were against it. So disprove this by giving the meeting on Friday your support. Lets make it standing room only and make a certain person, you know who we mean, as uncomfortable as possible. He has shown us his true colours and its the colour of MONEY.

Has anyone any ideas as to how we can effectively block this blight on our village??? Come on there must be someone out there with ideas!! bounce

LETS HAVE MORE FEEDBACK!!

terry1

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:59 pm

terry1 wrote:Editor I think YOU agree with these new houses or you would be more enthusiastic in opposing them.

Myself I think its absolutely awful!!! Who in thier right mind would want a development like this in the village. If we let this go through it will be the thin edge of the wedge. Next will be building across the road a dozen houses. Then lets build another 20 on the Pheasant land. Oh isnt Drake street dangerous for all these cars using it now so lets straighten the bend and while we are at it build a few more down Drake Street. If we let this sneak through you can wave goodbye to Welland as a village.

A certain person will NEVER be getting my vote again. Do NOT believe it when they start spouting things like "affordable houses for village kids" total and utter rubbish. They HAVE to build affordable houses these days. Next they will be saying they have fully consulted the villagers and only a small minority were against it. So disprove this by giving the meeting on Friday your support. Lets make it standing room only and make a certain person, you know who we mean, as uncomfortable as possible. He has shown us his true colours and its the colour of MONEY.

Has anyone any ideas as to how we can effectively block this blight on our village??? Come on there must be someone out there with ideas!! bounce

LETS HAVE MORE FEEDBACK!!

Editors Reply.

Sorry you feel like that. I am trying to be impartial, though I must admit to finding it hard not to make a more revealing reply. I have to ensure fairplay and allow BOTH sides to have their say. We are not children in a playground after all. The only bits I have edited were names and places to stop this becoming personal, though I must admit we are going to have a hard time preventing that as there seems to be a lot of hostile feelings towards this development. No doubt someone will come along and accuse me of being biased against the proposal, just as you have accused me of being biased towards it! I will just have to accept I cannot win! Smile Rolling Eyes

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  drakestreet Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:11 am

Re: Proposed Development in Welland meeting.
drakestreet Today at 5:01 pm

Dont forget the meeting is tonight. Ignore the unreal smiles from a certain two faced person and think of the traffic he is going to force down our throats. Probably the last chance to save our village!

Hope someone from the Parish Council will put up the details of the meeting on this forum so all can see what was said?

drakestreet

Back to top Go down

200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland? Empty Village Meeting

Post  barryjt Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:32 am

Just back from the meeting about the proposed development in Drake Street. It was an excellent meeting. The Village hall was filled to capacity. There was obviously strong opposition to the proposal. We need to stick together and oppose this development which would ruin our lovely Village.

barryjt

Back to top Go down

Post  frankc Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:47 am

Nice to meet you BarryJt. Yes the meeting, as you said, was full to capacity. In fact I have never seen to many people in the village hall. It's the first time I have ever had to que to get in to the hall!

A few good points were raised. Far too many (and I cannot remember them all) for me to list on here. But one or two things seemed clear. This is the thin end of the wedge if it goes through. Once this gets approval many more look like putting in their own applications. One thing was spoken of that I never appreciated before was the proposal in the past to build a new road accross the fields opposite there past stang's place. Will those plans be restored after we get these houses? The other thing is that what ever plans are proposed if they go through they will no doubt be altered, with no doubt very good reasons of course.

I look forward to hearing what others have to say on the matter. Smile

frankc

Back to top Go down

200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland? Empty A little history

Post  TimJ Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:45 am

When we moved into Drake St in 1990 we became aware of a Drake St enhancement as mentioned in this evening’s meeting, the new route would have left the existing route to the west of the Inn At Welland going north and rejoining Drake St to the east of Myrtle cottage. My enquiries at the time revealed that this enhancement was still on the books but was extremely unlikely to be ever implemented.

In the late 1990s a group of businessmen from Worcester (I think involved with a double glazing company) purchased the field opposite the end of Byfield Lane and applied for a similar, but smaller, development to the current Lawn farm proposal, it included a cricket field and wooded glade. This glade was planted and you can now see the trees growing on the bank behind the field.

Apparently when the field was purchased the council searches did not disclose the Drake St enhancement that crossed their land. There were also strong local objections to the scheme and the eventual outcome was that the road enhancement was quietly and officially shelved.

This development was turned down, went to appeal and was again turned down. I suspect that they still own the field and are very likely to resurrect this development if the Lawn Farm development goes through. I was surprised that this application was not brought up at this evening’s meeting.

As an aside I was amused at the co-incidence that the main activist against the previous scheme used to live at the same address as one of the main speakers at this evening’s meeting – let us hope for the same outcome

TimJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Ilikewellandasitis Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:50 pm

As a welland VILLAGER I feel totally disgusted that this is even up for debate!!!! Welland is a lovely VILLAGE, this massive development will change this VILLAGE forever.

VILLAGE what does that word mean to you?

For me and my family, it means a community. From small things that bring us together like the village fete to the big things that we rely on like the school, if all of these houses are built (not over night, it will be months and months of disruption) it will mean that EVERYTHING in the VILLAGE will change. We will become a small TOWN and no longer the village we all love. And who is to say when the development will stop, when will it be big enough? When we merge with upton? Malvern?

What about crime?
The Water supply? Pressure?
Broadband?
Street lights?
Cars? Do you really want another 100-500 cars in the village?
And they think that we will be happy with all of this because they will throw in a CRICKET PITCH!!!!!! are they mad?? We already have two lovely fields in the heart of our village.

And another thing I would like to bring up, when our Chairman of the Parish Council was canvassing for our votes, knocking on our doors with his firndly smile and false promises on how much he wanted to do for the village, when all of the time he had been planning this. For how long? I feel cheated, betrayed and robbed of my vote. And I would like to see the chairman stand down from his position that he lied his way into.

But this is only my opinion, who am I to say what goes on in our village, I am mearly a villager who will have to live with this, when our trusted Chairman moves to his nice new farm with his nice quiet countryside as he will not want to live so near a large develoment!

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts.

Ilikewellandasitis

Back to top Go down

200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland? Empty Lawn Farm Development

Post  Marc Brookes Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:52 pm

I was at the emotional meeting on Friday evening, and I think the turnout of people spoke volumes.
As an inveterate footpath walker in the Welland area, I walked around the proposed periphery of the development on Thursday evening, just to put a handle on the sheer size of it.
Wow, it is massive.
I think that a successful defence against the incursion must concentrate on attacking the proposal, not vilifying the personalities involved. This is a quiet Worcestershire village, famed for its views of the Malverns and not a budding Redditch New Town.
If you look up Welland on the much maligned Wikipedia, there is a lovely photograph of Drake Street as it is today.
Treasure that photograph - it may be all you will have to remember.

Marc Brookes

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieC Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:08 am

I have lived in this lovely village for over 28 years and I am practically a local now. I moved here because of its quite beautiful location not hampered by so called modern life. Even simple things like no street lights are a good thing, no light polution and it gives the whole village a quite feel at night. To say I am appalled at this latest proposal is an understatement.
Ironically the main attraction of this village is its size. Its as thought someone has said what a lovely part of the world lets build 3 or 400 houses so we can all live there.......... oh whats happened to the quiet village?
Malvern was a quiet little town until they started to build and build and build...... now they want to do the same to Welland. Money seems to speak volumes, the other word for this is simply greed! This is the only reason they are building, certainly nothing to do with improving the village or listening to the villagers wishes. No doubt they will say the area needs homes, sorry dont use that excuse. We could build a 1000 homes and we would still need more. So we should all stop them now.

What can we do? How can we stop this? Will they even listen?

JackieC

Back to top Go down

200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland? Empty DRAKE STREET

Post  treacle Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:48 am

I was really pleased with the attendence at the meeting last night, and the enthuisiasm to block this application. It must be stopped at all costs as far as I can see it`s a non starter.It would totally ruin what is a beautiful VILLAGE. Who in there right mind could even consider such a blot on the landscape. I`ve lived in the village all my life, except for a sojuorn to Wales. I put in planning for an extension on my parents home, so I could live back here. The limitations the planning dept put on this small application were absolutely ridiculous!! They allowed a garage but it would have needed a forklift truck to get a car into it as it was well below ground level, due to the excavation needed to get a level roof line! It is not overlooked and cannot be seen from the road, but I`ve seen bigger rabbit hutches!! So to even contemplate this development in Drake St (I live on this road, and it was no fun in the flood of 2007 for people) would be ludicrous!!! Sorry to bang on! but thingS like this really annoy.

treacle

Back to top Go down

Post  terry1 Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:33 am

Do you know what will allow this ***** developement through? Apathy. The I will sit back complain but not actually do anything attitude. Out of the dozens and dozens of people who attended the meeting on Monday how many have actually put their feelings on this forum? Just a handful. So COME ON PEOPLE if you dont want this development SHOW US SOME SUPPORT. Let your voice be heard!!

terry1

Back to top Go down

200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland? Empty Support of Councillor

Post  barryjt Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:18 am

:And another thing I would like to bring up, when our Chairman of the Parish Council was canvassing for our votes, knocking on our doors with his firndly smile and false promises on how much he wanted to do for the village, when all of the time he had been planning this. For how long? I feel cheated, betrayed and robbed of my vote. And I would like to see the chairman stand down from his position that he lied his way into.

But this is only my opinion, who am I to say what goes on in our village, I am mearly a villager who will have to live with this, when our trusted Chairman moves to his nice new farm with his nice quiet countryside as he will not want to live so near a large develoment!

I think many people wish they could recall their votes. Due to the ownership of the land in question, it would seem that we shall not have a District Councillor nor Parish Council Chairman to support us.
should this proposal proceed to an application. I find this very worrying.

Last edited by Admin on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Arranging the quote. No text alterations.)

barryjt

Back to top Go down

Post  frankc Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:30 am

barryjt wrote:
:And another thing I would like to bring up, when our Chairman of the Parish Council was canvassing for our votes, knocking on our doors with his firndly smile and false promises on how much he wanted to do for the village, when all of the time he had been planning this. For how long? I feel cheated, betrayed and robbed of my vote. And I would like to see the chairman stand down from his position that he lied his way into.

I think many people wish they could recall their votes. Due to the ownership of the land in question, it would seem that we shall not have a District Councillor nor Parish Council Chairman to support us.
should this proposal proceed to an application. I find this very worrying.

Good point Barry.

frankc

Back to top Go down

200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland? Empty Parish Council Meeting

Post  frankc Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:50 pm

This month's Parish Council Meeting will be held at the Parish Hall at 7.30pm.
There will be an opportunity for members of the public to speak before the meeting starts.

frankc

Back to top Go down

Post  barryjt Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:16 pm

Quote: "I think many people wish they could recall their votes. Due to the ownership of the land in question, it would seem that we shall not have a District Councillor nor Parish Council Chairman to support us.
should this proposal proceed to an application. I find this very worrying."

I have attended (although not recently), many meetings of the MHDC Planning Committee and noticed that when an application was controversial, councillors paid particular attention to the opinion of the member for the area concerned and usually tended to vote with him/her. I believe that happened with the application for industrial development near the Marlbank.

barryjt

Back to top Go down

Post  Ilikewellandasitis Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:34 am

Please could somebody post the time and date for the next Parish Council meeting as having our chairman stand down is something I would like to bring up.

We need a Chairman who will fight with us to stop this development not one who has £ signs in his eyes and fight against us.

WE NEED PEOPLE POWER!!!!!

Come on, don't just sit back and watch this happen under your noses and then realise its to late.

ACTION IS REQUIRED NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce

Ilikewellandasitis

Back to top Go down

200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland? Empty District Councillor

Post  barryjt Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:37 am

He should also stand down as District Councillor so we could elect one who would stand up for our Village.

barryjt

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:45 am

Ilikewellandasitis wrote:Please could somebody post the time and date for the next Parish Council meeting as having our chairman stand down is something I would like to bring up.

We need a Chairman who will fight with us to stop this development not one who has £ signs in his eyes and fight against us.

WE NEED PEOPLE POWER!!!!!

Come on, don't just sit back and watch this happen under your noses and then realise its to late.

ACTION IS REQUIRED NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce

I did email everyone with a newsletter that included the date of the next meeting, which is tonight. Have you checked your emails spam folder? It is also in 'Whats on' and in the 'Parish Council' part of the Forum. Keep an eye on the Calendar (top of page next to home button) I will ask Moderator Kate to put the meetings up on there too. Thank you for your input. Editor.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland? Empty Village Development for Clarification

Post  harry potter Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:24 am

I have just returned from the Parish Council meeting. During the meeting it was stated by two members of the committee that the facts that were presented at the meeting last Friday 16th September- regarding the meeting on the 14th of October with the MHDC Planners were incorrect.

I would like to clarify that - quoting the literature that will be issued on notice boards - the meeting on the 14th is to 'Have your say on the future of South Worcestershire' 'What schools,shops.hospitals,greenspaces and roads do we need?' 'Where should new homes be built'. This meeting does not specifically relate to the development on Drake Street but is about Welland as a whole.
It states that 'Your views are a vital part of this process'

There is a paper 'Prefered Options' and it is available on line at swdevelopmentplan.org

The literature specifically states that 'No decisions have yet been taken on where new development will be and all responses we receive from you will help us prepare this long term strategy'

Please look at this on line
Please go to the meeting and express your views on the 14th.

Thank you

harry potter

Back to top Go down

200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland? Empty Meeting of 16th Sept

Post  barryjt Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:34 am

harry potter wrote:I have just returned from the Parish Council meeting. During the meeting it was stated by two members of the committee that the facts that were presented at the meeting last Friday 16th September- regarding the meeting on the 14th of October with the MHDC Planners were incorrect.

I would like to clarify that - quoting the literature that will be issued on notice boards - the meeting on the 14th is to 'Have your say on the future of South Worcestershire' 'What schools,shops.hospitals,greenspaces and roads do we need?' 'Where should new homes be built'. This meeting does not specifically relate to the development on Drake Street but is about Welland as a whole.
It states that 'Your views are a vital part of this process'

There is a paper 'Prefered Options' and it is available on line at swdevelopmentplan.org

The literature specifically states that 'No decisions have yet been taken on where new development will be and all responses we receive from you will help us prepare this long term strategy'

Please look at this on line
Please go to the meeting and express your views on the 14th.

Thank you

I don't think the information given at the meeting of 16th Sept was incorrect. I attended the meeting and thought it was made clear that the meeting of 14th October was not about Drake steet but about future development in the South Worcestershire Area which would of coourse include Drake Street.

We need to be united to fight the proposed Drake Street Development or it will happen.

I am disappointed more people have not expressed their views on here.

barryjt

Back to top Go down

200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland? Empty Democracy in Action

Post  BeardyPete Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:56 pm

I was absolutely flabbergasted when I heard about the proposed idea for Development. My first thought was against it and now that I have spoken to other villagers and attended the meeting on Friday 16th I am still against it. The idea that a 100 or more houses could be built on Drake Street is obviously an emotional issue and one that affects the village as a whole.
I urge people who feel either way about the development to take part in the processes that are forming and implementing policy at a local, county and national level. Speak, e-mail or write to your Parish Council, go to the meetings and express your views, sign petitions, and discuss it with others.

With the attendance at the public meeting so high it is good to see so many people care about the future of our area,
Carry on showing your care--GET YOUR VOICE HEARD

BeardyPete

Back to top Go down

200+ New houses on Drake Street. Do YOU want a Fruitlands in Welland? Empty Welland Residents Action Group

Post  Alan Madsen Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:07 am

The bearded one makes a number of good points. If the village wishes to oppose this we will only stand a chance of success if we all stand together. I urge as many of you as possible to attend the Welland Residents Action Group inaugural meeting to be held in the village hall at 7pm this Friday 23 Sept 2011.

Alan Madsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum